A Picnik-Style Holiday Cocktail: The Sleigh Ride
Put on your snowsuit, let's go for a sleigh ride
Now that we are in the full swing of winter, the evenings call for a warm fire, hot cup of tea—and just maybe—a delicious holiday cocktail.
One of the newest cocktail specials at Picnik Burnet in Austin, Texas is The Sleigh Ride. In case you can't make it into the restaurant, we're going to teach you how to make it from the comfort of your own home.
To begin, we opt to make all of our vodka-based drinks with potato vodka as it is 100% grain-free. If you too are following a grain-free diet, pass on the wheat and corn-based vodkas and choose something like Monopolowa Vodka or Chopin Vodka.
To make the honey simple syrup listed below, you will combine two parts honey to one part water (for example, 2 tablespoons honey to 1 tablespoon water). Using hot water will help dilute the honey more easily.
- A loose handful of mint leaves
- 1 egg (you will only need the whites)
- 1 oz. honey simple syrup
- 1/2 oz. cranberry juice
- 1/4 oz. lime juice
- 1.5 oz. vodka
- 1 dash (approx. 1/8 tsp) aromatic bitters
- 1 dash (approx. 1/8 tsp) orange bitters
- A handful of ice cubes
- Cranberries and mint for garnish
- Place mint leaves in the bottom of a 16 oz. glass and add egg white, honey simple syrup, cranberry juice, lime juice, vodka, and bitters.
- Dry shake for 20 seconds.
- Add ice and shake again for 6 seconds.
- Using a strainer, pour the mixture into a glass to serve.
- Garnish with cranberries and mint.
Bring this to your next holiday get together and you'll be the MVP.
Happy Holidays to all of our friends near and far!