Keto Coffee Recipe
Start your day with this sugar-free nutritional powerhouse
One of our leading principles here at Picnik is inclusivity. So whether you follow a vegan, paleo, gluten-free, or ketogenic diet, or are just trying to make better choices when it comes to your meals, we believe we have something for everyone.
Our Chicken Tenders made with rice flour tempura are perfect for our paleo friends who want a taste of a familiar food from their childhood. Our Rainbow Chopped Salad is loaded with a healthy dose of alkalizing greens for our plant-based and vegetarian friends. And while many of our drinks are in alignment with the ketogenic diet, this one right here can be made from the comfort of your own home.
This drink is composed of:
- Organic coffee: Reduces the risk of toxic exposure since organic coffee beans are free of pesticides and artificial fertilizers.
- Grass-fed butter: Saturated fats play many important roles in the body. They provide integrity to the cell wall, promote the body’s use of essential fatty acids, enhance the immune system, protect the liver and contribute to strong bones. The lungs and kidneys cannot work without saturated fat. Saturated fats do not cause heart disease, in fact, they are the preferred food for the heart. Grass-fed butter is high in omega-3 fatty acids, CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E and vitamin K and it’s much easier to digest than pasteurized milk.
- MCT oil: MCT stands for medium chain triglycerides composed of caprylic and capric fatty acids and occurs naturally in coconut oil and other foods. Their benefit is that they easily convert into energy by the body, rather than stored as fat, and also support efficient absorption of fat-soluble nutrients.
- Cacao butter: Another source of healthy fat, cacao butter is an incredible superfood that has a long list of benefits including reduced inflammation, provides a boost in serotonin and feel good vibes, and is an antioxidant rich food.
- Cacao powder: Full of iron, magnesium, and calcium, high-quality raw, organic cacao powder is a health booster you can include in your daily diet. Just like our friend cacao butter above, it includes serotonin, tryptophan, tyrosine and phenylethylamine for feel good blissful vibes.
- Xylitol: A sugar substitute with a very low glycemic index makes it a favorable choice for diabetics and all those regulating their blood sugar levels. Make sure when purchasing you look for packaging that mentions the product was sustainably harvested from birch trees (not corn) and is GMO-free.
- Egg yolk: A nutritional powerhouse, egg yolks are full of folate (supports brain health), vitamin B12 (benefits mood, energy, and hormonal balance), choline (an essential nutrient for liver and metabolic function) and omega-3 fats (supports cardiovascular health).
- Peppermint oil (optional): Quality is key here because not all essential oils can be ingested. Make sure you look for a therapeutic grade essential oil (such as Young Living or DoTerra). Peppermint oil helps provide a natural boost of energy and supports the digestive process.
- Adaptogenic herbs (optional): We love both Four Sigmatic and Moon Juice adaptogenic herbs but feel free to choose whatever brand you love best. Adaptogenic herbs allow us to "adapt" to our surroundings and come back to a place of equilibrium. For example, if you are sluggish, heavy, and tired, they will give you a pep to get through your day, while if you are wired and strung out, they will provide calming and grounding to come back to your center.
Combined into one magical concoction of goodness, this is the perfect way to begin your way in a ketogenic-friendly way. Enjoy, friends!