Cooking With Naomi: Paleo Pumpkin Pie
A classic Thanksgiving favorite made with better-for-you ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (can use melted butter or coconut oil instead)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 large egg white, room temp
- 1 can pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (blend coconut milk first so there are no chunks)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine crust ingredients in a large bowl and roll into a ball with your hands.
- Using the method shown in the video, press dough into a pie pan. Using your palm, press the dough against the bottom of the pan and up the sides. If dough is sticky, wet your hands with water during the process and wash often. Grain-free dough behaves differently than regular dough. In order to shape it, keeping wet, clean hands always helps.
- Level the edge of the crust and make sure it is all even thickness all the way around. Flute the edge of the crust by placing your thumb and index finger together on your left hand and placing on the outside of the dough. Using your right hand, press your index finger against your other hand on the inside of the dough. You should see that you are able to make to make a small triangle shape. Repeat this pattern around the entire edge of the crust.
- Using a fork, dock your crust by poking it several times to keep it from rising in the oven. You can also place dried beans or pie weights in the center of the pan.
- Pre-cook crust for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- While the crust is baking, combine filling ingredients and whisk together.
- When the crust is done pre-cooking, remove from the oven and pour in your filling.
- Return to the oven and bake for 60 minutes until center is set (you can tell center is set when you move the pan slightly and the center doesn't wiggle). If crust is browning or burning, you can use a pie crust shield or wrap aluminium foil around the edges to slow the burning.
- When the pie is done, let it cool at room temperature and place in the fridge to set until you are ready to serve.