Holiday Recipes: Egg Nog + Chocolate Peppermint Pot de Crème
Made with Picnik Creamer
While our Picnik creamer is perfect for your morning cup of coffee, here are a couple more sweet and celebratory ways to put it to use this holiday season.
Pot de crème is a French word meaning, "pot of custard" or "pot of cream." It's a light, airy, creamy dessert made with milk, eggs, and the flavoring of your choice. We spiced up this holiday favorite with our functional creamer in place of milk to offer a serving of healthy fat and protein along with your delectable dessert.
Picnik Egg Nog Pot de Crème
4 - 6 servings
- 3 cups Picnik Coffee Creamer
- 9 egg yolks
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp salt
- Start by adding the Picnik Creamer, egg yolks, and maple syrup to a medium sauce pot. Whisk the mixture to fully combine the egg yolks and creamer.
- Add the salt, cinnamon stick and nutmeg.
- Place the pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to thicken. A heat proof rubber spatula works best for this. Be sure to cook the mixture until it coats the spatula.
- Once the mixture has thickened, carefully strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher or bowl.
- Divide the mixture among ramekins or coffee cups.
- Place the ramekins or cups into the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Garnish with your favorite whipped topping and a little grating of fresh nutmeg.
Picnik Chocolate Peppermint Pot de Crème
Yields 6 - 8 servings
- 2 ½ cups Picnik Coffee Creamer
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 9 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chips or blocks cut into small pieces
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- Start by placing the chocolate in a blender and setting it aside.
- In a saucepan, add the Picnik Coffee Creamer, egg yolks, maple syrup and salt.
- Whisk together until the egg yolks are fully combined with the creamer.
- Place the saucepan over medium high heat and stir the mixture constantly, with a heat proof rubber spatula, until it begins to thicken. Be sure to scrape the sides of the pan. The mixture should be thick enough to coat the spatula.
- After the mixture is thickened, carefully add the creamer/egg mix to the chocolate in the blender.
- Add the vanilla extract and peppermint extract.
- Being very careful, start blending the mixture on low speed and then high to make certain all the chocolate is melted and fully incorporated.
- Divide the chocolate mixture evenly among either 4 oz ramekins or 6 oz coffee cups.
- Finally, place the portioned pots into the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Once completely cooled and set, garnish with your favorite whipped topping, or lightly sweetened coconut cream. Add a mint leaf or some shaved chocolate for an additional flair.
A few more recipes to experiment with: